Sunday, September 16, 2012

"Values aren't buses... They're not supposed to get you anywhere. They're supposed to define who you are." - Jennifer Crusie

Value:  relative worth, utility, or importance.

This is the definition of moral values according to Merriam Webster.  Or his dictionary anyway.  Values are often the motivations we as human beings have to go about our days, our reasons for living. I mean, think about it.  Our values are the foundation of our very beliefs.  Without them, we have nothing because we have no basis for an opinion.  Now, of course values vary from person to person.  Some people find religion or spirituality to be of great importance while others find knowledge or wisdom to be more prevalent.

So without further ado, I give you, my beloved readers, my top seven values (in no particular order) and my reasoning behind each of them.


  1. Independence.  I am a very independent person.  I hate being ordered and bossed about without a say in the situation.  I feel that every person leads his or her own life, and independence is what makes that possible.  Without the ability to decide for yourself where your heart and soul lie in any aspect of your life, life simply isn't worth living.  Maybe that's too melodramatic, but what can I say?  I'm a pretty dramatic person.
  2. Courage.  This one's a biggie.  I personally am not a big risk taker.  I want to be, but I often get scared and wimp out.  That's where this thing called courage steps in.  When you watch any movie with adventure in it, Harry Potter, The Pagemaster, The Sandlot, the hero has to have courage to go through with it all, to save everyone and live happily ever after.  That's really difficult.  To stand alone or even with others and fight for something, whether it's your life, the lives of others, or just a baseball that's gone over the fence.  It's such an admirable thing when someone takes that risk, that leap into the unknown solely because they have to.  Without that leap, everything would be lost.
  3. Love.  Okay, so I'm a sucker for love.  Give me a love story, and I'm a happy camper.  I've often said that love makes life worth living.  Whether it's loving your soul mate, family, pets, or passions, it gives life meaning.  My grandfather drove me around in my middle school days when I was not capable of doing so.  He had lost his wife several years earlier, and he loved her with all his heart.  In a conversation he had with my dad once he stated that my brother and I were his reason for getting up every morning.  Driving us around meant the world to that man.  He'd lost the love of life, but the love of his grandchildren kept him going.  The Beatles say it best.  "All you need is love."
  4. Knowledge.  I was raised on Schoolhouse Rock, so I am a firm believe in their mantra, "Knowledge is power."  Knowledge grants us the ability to question things and feed our curiosity.  In a way the gift of knowledge and the thirst for more keeps the earth turning.  It keeps life moving forward.
  5. Creativity.  Passion.  To me these two values feed off of each other.  Passion fuels creativity.  Creativity discovers passion.  One does not exist without the other.  My passion for dance feeds the fire of creativity within so that I can create choreography, and this creation furthers my passion for dancing.  With the help of passion and creativity, I am able to express myself.
  6. Dedication.  In order to achieve anything in this world, one must be dedicated.  This also ties into responsibility.  If you are dedicated to something, you are more likely to take responsibility for it. If you want to make it in the big time of whatever business in which you're interested, you have to dedicate yourself to it.  You have to sacrifice things to reach your goals.  
  7. Growth.  This is something achieved through all the values listed above.  Through finding yourself, taking risks, loving others, striving to know more, creating through passion, and dedicating yourself to your cause you grow as a person.  And honestly that's when you know you've achieved your goals.  When you've grown enough to see that everything you've ever done has happened for a reason.  When you can look back on your life with no regrets, that's when you've grown to your potential.  
There you have it folks, an in depth look at the values of Katie Lindsay.  These are the motivations behind my actions; these are what define me.

No comments:

Post a Comment