Monday, October 22, 2012

The Importance of Being Encouraging

Mentorship.  It's something we all need, yet we rarely acknowledge that need.  This is a topic that Dr. Wesley Desselle emphasized at our forum last week.  His passion for mentorship got me to thinking about the mentors I've had throughout my life so far, and to be completely truthful, I'd be nowhere without them.

Let me start off with my dance teacher, Melissa.  She has been a role model for me for about ten years, and she inspires me to be a better dancer and a better person.  Melissa always handles herself in a polite and diplomatic way, and even when she is scolding her children or a student or confronting someone she never loses her cool.  She's always been there to help me through whatever problem I've had, and she was always patient with me when I had difficulty with certain steps.  Melissa is a humble teacher and fabulous person.  Even though we've had our ups and downs, she still cares about me and encourages me to do what is right for myself and for those around me.

During my junior year of high school, I had one of the best English teachers.  She is actually one of the big reasons I'm considering teaching English.  Mrs. McCoy is just a fun person.  She's really chill and laid back, and she has a real passion for teaching and sharing her love of literature.  She always encouraged me to think outside the box and push the limits with my writing.  My senior year I was her aide, and that gave me a look into being an English teacher.  She makes it fun; it is plain to see that she enjoys her job, and it's her joy that inspired me to go into that same field.  Mrs. McCoy takes a real interest in her students, and she is always there for anyone who needs a shoulder to cry on.

Seriously, my closest mentor would have to be my mom.  She's really my best friend.  I literally don't know where I'd be without her, and I don't misuse literally.  She has put up with so much drama from me, and yet, to this day, she is nothing but supportive of me.  From gymnastics to dance to theatre to cheering, she has always found a way for me to do whatever it is that I set my mind to do.  She has always encouraged me to be the best and most independent me that I can be.  She listens to all of my problems without complaint and always helps me figure out the most practical solution.  She gave me the best childhood I could ask for.  She gave me a love of reading.  She gave me imagination.  And to top it off, she gave me love.  That's the most precious thing I could ask for.

I hope that I can one day do all of these things for someone else.  I hope to encourage, inspire, support, listen, and love someone so that they know that they can do whatever it is they set out to do because that's what these women have done for me.  They have instilled in me a confidence of heart and mind that I would otherwise be without.  I am eternally grateful to these women, and I hope that by paying it forward down the line that they will somehow be repaid.

No comments:

Post a Comment